Yesterday i was migrating a Public DNS Service from MS Windows 2003 Server to MS Windows 2012 R2. Obviously these zones dns were not integrated in ADDS.
The strategy is easy:
In 2003 Server:
- Export from regedit the subkeys [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DNS Server\Zones]
- Copy c:\windows\system32\dns
- Shutdown server.
In 2012 R2 Server:
- Configure same ip, mask, gateway and dns servers on the ethernet than 2003 Server.
- Stop DNS Service.
- Import the .reg file.
- Paste the *.dns files inside folder dns.
- Start DNS Service.
- Go to Properties of the DNS Server ad configure exactly as 2003 Server.
- Check all DNS Zones are ok.
- Check if replication from Master are working fine.